Before we could even begin to think about the solution, we first had to talk with both stakeholders as well as potential customers of the product. Although the web application was beginning to formulize, there was still much misalignment as to what could/should be included in the mobile app experience.
We started with the business side, in order to understand what expectations they had around the product as well as what they felt was most important. Along with these interviews, a proto-persona workshop was conducted in order to better understand their customers and to begin to build empathy for their situations.
Next, we came at it from the other side by talking with some potential customers who met the proto-persona we had previously created. In addition to the interviews, we also sent out a survey to others we were unable to speak with in order to capture feedback from those individuals as well.
The easier it gets, the happier I am about it.
Getting some recommendations or suggestions from someone when there are good opportunities in the marketplace would be great.
How can I help myself for the future?
Once we had talked to both stakeholders and customers, we needed to synthesize our findings to make sense of things. We did this through affinity mapping of the feedback we received from both the interviews and the survey. Common themes began to surface as we reviewed the findings as a team (client, project management, development, and design).
After we had compiled all of the feedback and insights from the research, we worked with the team in prioritizing the needs and features that came out of it. 2x2’s are great for this in ensuring both value (business and customer) and effort are taken into account. This helped pave the way for our initial app architecture and wireframing.
Once we felt pretty good about the direction we were heading, the first thing we wanted to do was validate with customers that we were on the right track. Moving into Sketch, we were able to quickly digitize our ideas and then stitch them together into a clickable prototype using InVision.
After completing our validation sessions and making some adjustments based on the feedback we received, we moved into visual design. We wanted to maintain a similar look and feel to the new branding and web application in progress, and in working with the other teams we were able to refine and expand the new brand standards for what this experience should look like. We were able to add in some nice affordances as well, such as this house loading animation I created below.
After a few more rounds of evaluative sessions and a couple added features, we were ready for the launch of our MVP. We were thrilled to see that not only was the business happy with the results, but clearly customers were pleased as well. Not only was Nationstar setup for success with their new app, but they also gained the tools and process to continually improve on their products.